Day 73: A mermaid watercolor
It’s finally done!
I have a few critiques, mainly:
- Her hair — I was originally planning to give my girl some red/dark pink highlights, but royally effed it up. I managed to do some damage control by lifting whatever paint I could and adding darker blue tones to the hair, but you can still see some of the original mess on top of her head.
- Her mouth — I didn’t realize until after I’d taken a photo of my work that her mouth is just a bit too low, making her face seem donkeyish.
- Her tail scales — I didn’t realize the white “glisten” I added would turn out completely horizontal looking until after I was already done painting. Should pay more attention to curvature.
- The background — I’m not good at landscapes in general, but the fish in the water are especially heinous. I wish I’d spent more time perfecting them instead of roughly throwing them back there.
That said, I used no reference material for this sketch (except for her left hand), so I’m really surprisingly pleased at how the final piece turned out!
*pats self on back*